October 23, 2007

Death of a trail

I just read the news that Razorback is closing. Yessiree, the home of the 12 Hours of Razorback and the best trail in Florida is no more. When I read this I felt like somebody just told me my best friend died.

For the past 3 years, you could find me there almost every weekend I was in town. As my endurance racing addiction took hold I spent even more time there, because it was perfect for long training rides. It had enough hard stuff to make sure I was worked over at the end of the day, but enough easy stuff to allow for some recovery. I logged over 1000 miles there this year.

The thing that really made it great, though, was it's "family-friendly" atmosphere. I could bring Lauren and Fontana there with me and they'd ride easier loops. After they rode, Lauren would hang out and do yoga or just chill while waiting for me to finish my 5-hour ride. Fontana would make the rounds, playing with other dogs and seeing what kinds of goodies he could mooch off the other park patrons.

I have many, many fond race memories from Razorback. I got my only Sport win there in 2001. I was on my way to my only Expert win there, only to be derailed by a broken chain. I had many other podium finishes in Expert XC races there. Placing 3rd at this year's 12 Hours of Razorback was one of the highlights of my season.

Godspeed, my good friend.

1 comment:

Jeffro Herriachi said...

Sorry to hear of the trail loss, my best regard to you and your bike. J